Saturday, February 18, 2012

After Gustav Klimt

This is a two hour painting, acrylic on illustration board, done during an open studio studio class demonstrating  the use of line during the Art Nouveau Movement.  It is in the fashion of Gustav Klimt, based upon the drawing "Standing Robed Woman" c. 1916.
     Gustav Klimt has been my.....how shall I put this......my main man, since I was old enough to learn the names of artists.  His amazing use of pattern, shimmering gold leaf and flowing lines had captivated me as a teenager and has not disappointed me since.
             But, even with his amazing talent.....there were doubts..............


“I can paint and draw. I believe this myself and a few other people say that they believe this too. But I'm not certain of whether it's true.”
                                        Gustav Klimt

   How well an artist knows this feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment